Re: Thermal Cleaning at Home?

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thermal Cleaning at Home?
From: Dave Williams <ronin@aristotle.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 08:19:15 -0600
doug@dougbraun.com wrote:

> I was reading an article on engine rebuilding in Hemming's that described a
> process called Thermal Cleaning that is a replacement for hot-tanking for
>engine parts.
> Basically, blocks, etc. are placed in a hot oven for a while, and all the
>grease, sludge, etc.
> is cremated and reduced to ash.

  My only experience with thermal cleaning was with a shop that
destroyed a pair of antique Pontiac heads that way, then they tried to
claim they had been cracked before they baked them.  Since I'd just
ported them, then paid them to Magnaflux the heads, I wasn't too
receptive of that idea.  I had taken the heads in to have a valve job
done, and they were squeaky-clean already.  They said they always baked
valve job heads.

  The shop grunt who loaded the destroyed heads into the car said it
seemed like everything was crap nowadays; once they cleaned stuff up,
more than half of it was cracked.  Well, DUH...

  A friend of mine had a different shop destroy a flathead Ford V8 block
he sent off to be baked.  And he'd Magnafluxed it himself before sending
it off.

  Now I have my own equipment, and I can destroy stuff myself without
having to pay others to do it!