RE: looking for suggestion on shipping

To: "'Mike Rambour'" <mikey@b2systems.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: looking for suggestion on shipping
From: "Michael Lowe" <mlowe@itrade-sa.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:06:53 -0700
 Hello there Mike,
The cargo class is important (see here;
http://www.roadway.com/firsttimeshipper/guide_2.html for some info), but the
value is also part of their equation, all part of their risk. If your 600lbs
of stuff is easily replaced and not worth much, you can get a much better
deal. You could go by a truck stop in your area and look around the
telephone/fax/biz center there and find a "LTL Broker" card on the wall or
by asking around the stop. I used to occasionally drive a big rig as a favor
for a friend and folks were always posting 500lbs pallet of stuff going to
somewhere, would you do it for $200? I make it a point to never pay retail
or the first price (except when shopping under duress). I have sent
500-600lbs pallets of electronics test equipment from Philly to San
Francisco for less than $400, after looking around - sometimes a lot. You
have to figure your time value in this as well. The broker can be in your
target zip as well, lots of time CA truckers are looking for almost anything
to make some bucks on a backhaul that might have to go empty.
Good luck,
Michael Lowe
Black Forest