Re: Phone/intercom strobe for shop

To: cornerexit <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Phone/intercom strobe for shop
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:25:41 -0600
Wayne,

Randall is right, it is too much like work to mess with RF. The biggest
problem you will have with hooking a telephone strobe to the intercom is
that the strobe uses the 90 volt AC from the phone line to power the
strobe light. There is no power cord on it to plug into the wall.

You can also find flashing lights that are intended to connect to radios
and intercoms for deaf people, but once you get into that area the
prices go through the roof.

The easiest way to do this might be to buy a vibrating pager system for
about $50 and hook the pager to your collar where it would be out of the
way and the vibration would be noticed. (My cell phone vibrates on my
belt and I never feel it vibrate when I am running my table saw or
anything else that vibrates).

Hmmm, Find a strobe light that runs off 120V that you can plug into an
X-10 module in the shop and install an X-10 switch or console in the
house to control it. That might be the easiest and cheapest way for you.
I just took a quick look at Ebay under "Strobe Light" and there is a 70W
light there with a buy it now of $29. I didn't look for shipping costs.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --