Re: Tablesaw vs commercial or homemade straight edge?

To: "Jimmie Mayfield" <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>,
Subject: Re: Tablesaw vs commercial or homemade straight edge?
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:53:04 -0500
I have a 12" PowerMatic 5hp 3PH table saw. And I bought it for $200!

However, one cannot take that behemoth to the job site! I have
borrowed a friend's portable table saw and found it more than
adequate. With a good, sharp blade it's fine for ripping 4/4 pine,
plywood, etc.

If I was limited for space (and I am somewhat - the PowerMatic is on
wheels so I can move it aside), I wouldn't hesitate to buy a decent
'portable' table saw and perhaps rig up some folding infeed/outfeed
supports.

Eric Russell
STOC #2860
Mebane, NC