Re: garage drawing package for cheap?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: garage drawing package for cheap?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:10:46 -0400
At 03:22 PM 4/2/2006 -0400, Mark Andy wrote:
>Anyone got any pointers to a building drawing package for free or cheap?
>
>I'm looking for something that I can use to draw up a future garage, to
kinda
>see what it'd look like, etc.  I don't need it to generate materials lists
or
>anything like that, but if it did, that'd be nice I guess.
>
>If it _does_ estimate material costs, it'd be neat if it knew about pole
>building style construction...

Mark,

That's something a spread sheet is good at.  You know the codes for walls,
ie 2 2x4s for the header and footer, and 1 2x4 every 18".  So you can
create a template that will let you input the size you want,  ie 20'x12'x8'
and calculate the number of 2x4s.  Then what are you going to use for
sheathing, 1/2 plywood sheets?  If so you can easily have the spread sheet
calculate the area of each wall and divide that by the area of a sheet of
plywood (4'x8').  You can figure out what you want for a roof, and calculate
the roof joices.  Do you want it finished inside with drywall?  If so you'll
need the same amount of drywall as you need sheathing.  Now how many windows
do you want?  What about doors?  Simply have an entry for the window, and
doors, then go shopping for the cost.  Roughly $200 per window and $300 for
a typical garage 8' wide door and say $100 for a side door.

Now you've got and idea of the quanity and cost of materials, excluding
nails and joist hangers, and hurricane straps.

And who said all that math you did in school was useless? :)  I knew it
would come in handy some day.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic