Help with shop procedures

Subject: Help with shop procedures
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:02:53 -0700
I just bought a 1989 Bronco that was on Ebay.  It's a 351W with EFI.
The plan is to use it for parts for my 1955 Ford F-100.  But I'd like to
get it running right before pulling the engine and scrapping what's left.
It's supposed to have a blown head gasket.  I'm hoping I can rebuild
the top end without pulling the engine.

Two questions:

Can someone explain the procedure for diagnosing what I'm assuming
is going to be low compression on two or more cylinders?  I'm going to
have to buy a compression tester.  Mine is ancient.  Or do I get better
information by doing a "leak down" test?

What do I do about the air conditioning?  If I just start tearing it down,
I'll lose the refrigerant.  Illegal, bad for the environment, and freon is
expensive.  Can I pull the heads and intake from this car without
disconnecting refrigerant lines?

Thanks in advance.
Steve Shipley