elec wiring question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: elec wiring question
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:13:58 -0700
   I am wiring up a oven in the garage for powder coating.  A
electrician ran the wires to the area where I want the oven, he ran
6guage wire, not sure why that thick but ok since its a 40amp circuit
(oven draws 35) but I can live with that.

  Problem is that he ran only 3 wires, 2 hots and one neutral, the
oven has a ground as well.  I looked at my air compressor that he
wired many years ago and he ran a ground (bare) wire from the neutral
wire to the ground post.  Is that ok ?  never had any problems but
just wondering.  My house is old 2 wire wiring throughout and about
10 years ago he grounded some plugs in the back room where I had
computers, I needed a grounded plug to prevent the "faulty ground"
alarm on the UPS, at that time he ran a wire outside and to a copper
ground stake he hammered into the ground so that the 2 wall plugs in
that room are grounded.  Should I hammer a ground stake in the garage
and wire the ground to the oven there ? or is neutral to ground good enough.

  I would ask him but he is not in town until late next week.  I hate
electrical stuff :)

   Mike

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer       mikey@b2systems.com