Re: AC/DC Adapters

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AC/DC Adapters
From: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 19:52:42 -0400
> On Wed, 17 May 2006, PJ McGarvey wrote:
> > We left our baby monitor charger at the vacation house, and of course
> > the battery is out of charge now.  So I searched the house and my bin of
> > old parts, and found one adapter for a cordless phone cradle that might
> > work. It's 9V output, 210mA.  The baby monitor female plug just says
> > "9V" on it. AND the adapter plug fits perfectly.  The monitor battery
> > states 2.4V 700mAh.  So will this work?

Thought I'd give you all an update. The other charger worked fine when
plugged in, but after I tried to switch back to the battery-only after using
it, it didn't work.  Thinking I killed the battery or something, I continued
to use the charger fine, and put an IR thermometer on it a few times and it
was around 100 degrees, not too hot.  Worked great for a few days actually -
the wife was impressed since we weren't at the mercy of having to listen for
the "little ones" cries as intently while around the house.

After getting the normal charger back, everything seems back to normal, so
I'm happy for the workaround for those few days.  I'm lucky the monitor has
reception in the garage about 100 feet away, because it gave me the
flexibility to do some work for a few hours the first day I used the other
charger.

PJ