RE: Orbital / Spin riveting?

To: "'Karl Vacek'" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Orbital / Spin riveting?
From: "Aric Datesman" <adatesman@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:42:45 -0400
Hi Karl,

Good point, forgot to mention that.  The rivets are .250" and need to be
solid since they will be holding quite a bit of force in shear (~2200
lb-force or so) and may be subject to some axial stresses due to the device
twisting.  Typically this kind of device (spring loaded camming device for
rock climbing) has the axles terminated with either a brazed ferrule or a
formed rivet head.

Since I'm just tinkering with prototypes, using a riveted connection seems
easier to deal with both in terms of making the termination and breaking it
apart to reuse main components.  I had been just using nuts and bolts to
hold it together while refining the design, but I'm at the point now where
I'll be doing some drop testing and am not sure they would hold up so well
given the forces involved.

Thanks!

-aric.