Re: air jack cylinders

To: Skip Albright <salbrigh@nycap.rr.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air jack cylinders
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:50:16 -0700
At 07:43 PM  7/13/2006  -0400, Skip Albright wrote:
>they are pretty cruddy, the grease and mud came out easily, but the part
>that was parallel to the ground had sitting water and the rust is pretty rough.
>
>wire brush?  flapper?  chemicals, electrolysis?

I've had pretty good luck removing rust with citric acid, assuming the part
is small enough to submerge in a bucket or big pan.  I use it to remove
rust from old tools.  It attacks the rust but won't hurt the base (ferrous)
metal.  I use an enameled turkey roaster on a gas hot plate, heat the water
and mix a saturated solution of citric acid (available on line and from
brewery supply houses), adding the dry citric acid and stirring until it
won't dissolve any more, then add the part, get it boiling again, then
remove from heat and let it sit anywhere from a few hours to
overnight.  Clean with a green scrubbie or a light wire wheel.

Dave C