Re: Removing Busted Taps and Fasteners

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Removing Busted Taps and Fasteners
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:30:11 -0400
On 9/5/06, Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net> wrote:

> Jon wrote :
>
> > I don't recall ever hearing about a tap disintegrator before. It sounds
> > interesting.
>
> I've only heard that name as a synonym for EDM (Electrical Discharge
> Machining).  There have been several articles in Home Shop Machinist on how
> to build your own EDM; some of them were pretty simple.
>
> The concept sounds great, but I've not built one yet.  I especially liked
> the "demo" where a small gear was used as an electrode, to put a gear-shaped
> hole through a hardened file.

I've not built one, but I've had bolts (and an EZ-out) removed using
such a device.  It worked great on all my pieces -- an exhaust
manifold, and a cast iron cylinder head.  Wasn't worth it, money wise,
for the manifold, except they did that day, and a replacement would
have taken a week to ship.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com