Re: Just Got a Cable Modem

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Just Got a Cable Modem
From: Battmain <battmain@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 04:09:57 -0400
Google on Wireless Security.  Some of the tools can get you in within
seconds provided you have the proper hardware.  Even the new wpa2,
while better and will keep out most script kiddies, if you know where
to look, you can find all you need. If you don't broadcast your SSID,
the tools can tell what type of encryption you're using, the strength,
your network name, etc. Some even come with GPS location tools and you
can sort by open, wep, wpa encryptions. You can even set the tool to
beep when it finds a network. It will immediately tell you what you're
dealing with on the network it found.  I'll also admit to using open
connections, but I'm usually careful what I access knowing what I know
now. With those open connections, anyone on the network can have
access to your pc. The good news is that even a basic firewall will
help keep most out. (keyword-most)  The airport locations where I
occasionally logon to with free access, I'm still careful. Paranoid?
Not sure, but I think it's more of, the more you know, the better you
can prevent crap from happening. The webmail stuff...I use secure
connections (https) instead of regular open connections (http) and
attempt to use secure whenever I can browsing the web.   You save your
passwords or userids on your pc? One tool I found can display within
seconds everything I need to know. :-)   Clear your cache? Another
tool can list the history of everywhere you've been up to a point,
even if you had just clicked on clear history. Lost your password for
winxp/win2k?  I've used one tool consistently over the years to get
back into the systems. Recently I had to use the CD version of the
tool because it didn't have one of the drivers for the CD drive on the
particular system, but within minutes, the password was blanked and I
was back into the system. That tool is freeware. It is mindboggling
what you can find if you dig deep enough.

Brian
battmain@gmail.com