RE: Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic Inline Sander

To: "'John T. Blair'" <jblair1948@cox.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic Inline Sander
From: "Ben Zwissler" <bjzwissler@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:19:36 -0500
John,

Thanks for the response.  I don't think its oil.  I've used it less than an
hour total and oiled it a couple times through the air inlet (4-5 drops each
time).  When I disassembled it it seemed well lubed.  Its good to hear
people get them to work properly, that gives me motivation to keep trying.

The timing is interesting.  I also didn't pay close attention during
disassembly but think I figured out a way to time it properly.  I've tried
moving both pistons to the same end of their travel and timing the valve to
match and I've tried putting them all in the middle of their travel. Do you
have any other suggestions?

The problem seems to be that the pistons and the valve are very "tight".  I
cannot move the valve by hand - I have to use pliers.  I tried sanding it to
remove a little material from the barrel and that helped initially but once
assembled it got stiff again quickly.  The pistons are also difficult to
move.  When assembled I cannot move it by hand.  If I slam one end on a work
bench it will move from one end to the other.

The tool worked initially, but in the course of few hours time and less than
an hours use I got this problem.  If anything it seems to have a build up of
"paste" of oil and dust.  I was using it to sand typical auto body filler,
so I figure it should be designed to live with that.  I wiped the parts off
the first time but didn't wash them.  My next try is to completely
disassemble, wash and lightly oil.  I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Ben......