RE: Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic Inline Sander - UPDATE

To: "'Ben Zwissler'" <bjzwissler@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic Inline Sander - UPDATE
From: "Ben Zwissler" <bjzwissler@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:48:49 -0500
After a couple encouraging responses from people who had reasonable
experience with these sanders, I disassembled mine again.  After a thorough
cleaning one piston and the directional valve were still stiffer than I
thought normal.  I trimmed a little length of the nylon "piston ring" and
that made that piston move more easily.  The directional valve was a little
more trouble.  I chucked the valve in a drill, put the drill in the bench
vise to create a poor man's lathe and sanded it smooth.  It was still very
sticky.  Then I looked for what else might be catching and found strange
wear marks on the "thrust bearing" surface.  Deburred those surfaces as best
I could and that seemed to free it up - mostly.

Put it back together after figuring out how to "time" it properly and its
working again.  It moves freely by hand now and has good power.  We'll see
how long it keeps going - I've got about 15-30 minutes use on it since
reassembled.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

Ben.....

Ben Zwissler