Low-voltage (12V) LED lights

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Low-voltage (12V) LED lights
From: Ian <shop-talk@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:27:15 -0500
Hi All,

Here's what I'm trying to do:  I have a built-in wall unit that has existing
12V spotlights using a 300W transformer (see 12VTrans pic link below) that has
a lot of excess capacity (only using 60W of it).  I'm adding LED strip lights
that are also 12V and come with their own little power supply (see LED pic
links below).  I'd like to cut off the LED strips power supply and just wire
them into my existing transformer that is controlled by a dimmer on the wall.

The problem:  I wired the LED strips into one of the open 60W transformers (the
300W 12V unit is actually 5 individual 60W magnetic transformers).  It's a
magnetic transformer so it dims nicely with the wall dimmer.  However, the LED
lights will not work.  At full power on the dimmer the LEDs come on at normal
brightness for a fraction of a second, then they dim to maybe 10% brightness
and stay that way.  As I adjust the dimmer they don't get more than maybe 20%
brightness.  Using the LED power supply, they are full brightness; they only
come with an on/off switch, no dimmer.  Does it sound like the LED light strips
have some sort of electronic circuit on them that doesn't like my 12V magnetic
power supply, as even at full power (no dimming) they aren't working?

I'd love to have these strip lights wired into my existing transformer, but in
lieu of that my plan is to just use their original power supplies and give up
on dimming them.  If anyone knows how I can make them work or can even just
explain why they don't work, I'd appreciate the insight.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/ianmcfetridge/LEDstripsps800x600.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/ianmcfetridge/LEDstripsbox800x600.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/ianmcfetridge/12VTrans800x600.jpg

Thanks, Ian