RE: Computer Question -- Spoofed e-mails

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Computer Question -- Spoofed e-mails
From: Vin Marshall <vlm@te-motorworks.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:29:58 -0500
On the topic of differentiating the email addresses given to different
places:

For people with mail servers that behave like sendmail (most of which I
think do?) , things after a '+' in your email address are ignored.  So
for example, vlm+shop_talk@te-motorworks.com would be delivered to the
mailbox for vlm@te-motorworks.com, but with the full email address
including the +shop_talk in the TO: field.  So I then have that extra
information after the + to do filtering in my mail program.  Or with a
filter like procmail.

It is easier to do this in that you don't need to create additional
email accounts or bother your system administrator.  The only place
where I've found that it comes back to bite me is when I've forgotten my
password for a site that uses the email address as the user name.  I can
never remember what +such and such I added to my email address when I
created the account.  Though a systematic naming scheme would help
here.

-vin

--
T.E. Motorworks, Inc.