Re: Any using Nitrogen?

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Any using Nitrogen?
From: Charles Mathews <cmathews3@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:12:06 -0600
I have seen the same claims as below.  I did not believe them but tried
N2 anyway.

It supposedly:
* Leaks down less
* Has less pressure change with temperature, since there's very low
moisture content
* Gets better mileage
* Longer tire life, without the reactive O2

*As far as leaks down less, N2 is a smaller molecule then O2.
Therefore, the N2 should leak faster.  Certainly no slower.
*Again from a thermodynamics point of view the pressure change theory
should hold.  However in my Toyota Land Cruiser, (big tires) the
pressure changed more then I expected.  I do not recall the exact
amount, but I remember returning once a week for a month until I got
tire of returning, to adjust the tire pressures, because they were off
by > 3 psi.
*Better gas mileage, The only difference I can come up with (at the
time) is less weight.  Check the periodic table and you see that the
difference is very small.

*Longer life, I don't keep tires long enough to care.

I should finish saying that I had (before really thinking about) really
hoped that this worked.  IMHO from my experience, it was a waste of time
and money.

Charlie Mathews