RE: Making solid core tires

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Making solid core tires
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 10:45:06 -0700
> I was wondering, has anyone ever tried to just fill the tires
> with the foam
> insulation?  If so, did it work well?

I haven't tried it, but I don't think it would work very well.  That
insulation foam isn't very strong and completely inflexible, so anything
that deforms the tire will also deform the foam; which I think will break it
apart and (eventually) turn it back into powder.

> I was think of getting the low expansion stuff (it would be
> easier to fill
> the tire completely) an just filling the tire up and letting
> it harden.
>
> Any ideas?

Why not one of the commercial products designed for this use ?  Here's one,
just the first one I turned up with a quick Google :
http://www.polycoat.org/view/category.php?id=9

I've also seen molded foam rubber inserts for the same purpose.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.