Venture A/C Condensor replacement (was: Home a/c question)

To: jblair1948@cox.net
Subject: Venture A/C Condensor replacement (was: Home a/c question)
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 11:15:05 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 23 May 2007, jblair1948@cox.net wrote:
>> (A/C systems seem to be haunting me these days... I'm going to need to do
>> a condenser in this minivan I'm buying.... :-)
>
> Depending on the van, you might want to think about not purchasing that
> particular van then.  Are you planning on doing the work, or having it
> done. If you are farming it out, have you gotten an estimate?  For the
> late model Chrysler mini vans, it is a 12 hr + job.  So at $100/hr
> (labor rate here) then you're looking at a repair bill of at least
> $1,500.  A lot to put into a van you just bought, unless it's being
> discounted by at least that much.

Its an '02 Chevy Venture.  I'm getting it at a price that makes me willing
to deal with the A/C issues.  :-)

I'm actually buying it from my dad.  The dealer up there wants ~$800 for
the job, $400 of which is the condensor.  I can get a condensor for $150
or so.

Apparently the radiator has to come out to get to the condenser, which
also means the top front motor mount has to come off.  Other than that,
it doesn't sound too crazy (and that doesn't sound _all_ that bad really).

I don't know yet what I'll do about recharging.  I think a buddy with a
shop has an A/C machine, so I'll hopefully be able to do that, otherwise
I might buy a guage set and a pump from Horrible Freight.  Or I might pay
someone to do the recharge. ...But I'm hoping for some friend labor... :-)

Mark