Strain Gauge Based Torque Wrench

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strain Gauge Based Torque Wrench
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 15:17:02 -0400
List,

Take a look at Craftsman's latest nifty tool, go to www.sears.com and input
part number 47712.  I had a look at this latest torque wrench in the store
and it is quite nicely finished and appears well made.  The 47712 is a 1/2"
drive torque wrench which reads 20-200ft lbs and is about 28" from head to
handle.  The price is what makes this so attractive.  Currently $169 on the
website, marked down from $250.

So for those that know more about strain gauges than me, what are the down
sides of a torque wrench that uses strain gauges to measure torque?

Obviously initial calibration is most important, but how durable are these
things in the field and what type of life do they give?  I suspect, from my
quick searching of the subject, that the easiest way to damage the strain
gauge in the torque wrench is to torque something beyond the rated capacity
of the torque wrench - in fact that is just about how any tool would fail
though.

With four torque wrenches in my tool box, all different sizes, types and
brands... I am not at a loss for torque wrenches, however if it means more
precise results without any negatives, then this torque wrench looks like a
great deal.

Cheers,

Kai