Preventing cedar rot

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Preventing cedar rot
From: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 04:40:54 -0700 (PDT)
After a long day in the shop, the missus and I like to
recreate on our cedar deck.  However,  our decking is
rotting from underneath as evidenced by my wife
crashing through the decking.

Seems it was installed too tightly (there really was
minimal or no space between boards).  Moisture was
trapped beneath and voila - rot.

I'm committed to using cedar as my bigger half will
accept no other material. I want the new deck to last
longer than 10 years so I'm looking for advice.

Space between boards - I've read 0-1/8", lumber yard
suggests 3/16".  Any consensus here for cedar?  Do I
maintain the same gap at the ends?  How about mitered
joints?

I'm actually considering laying the decking in upside
down and putting a finish on the deck bottom.  I would
flip the boards later, fasten then finish the top of
the deck.  Any reason why this would not help?  I'm
thinking I could use something on the deck bottom that
would provide protection-looks or traffic would not be
an issue-any thoughts on a rot resistant finish for
the bottom?  Spar varnish, poly-u or???  The old and
new cedar is Architect Clear, the highest grade.

Any thoughts appreciated.

TIA,
Charlie