Re: How likely am i to be able to pull electrical wire?

To: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>,<shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How likely am i to be able to pull electrical wire?
From: wmc_ST@xxiii.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:35:09 -0400
At 12:28 AM 6/12/2007, David Scheidt wrote:
>I've got a piece of romex cable in a wall that's failed.  (open
>hot.). It's about six or eight feet worth, in an exterior wall.  It
>runs about six or eight feet from one duplex outlet to another, with
>one 90 degree corner It's conceivable that the wire does something
>nuts, like go up to the header and then across, I think it runs
>straight horizontally.  How likely am I to be able to be able to
>pull a replacement, without performing surgery on the drywall?

How old is it?  On new installation, you're required to secure
(staple usually) the wire to framing within like 6" of the box, then
a max of every 4' after that.  Which means you're pretty much SOL for
pulling with it.  There are exceptions for retrofit work.

Might be best to let a pro do it.  I've seen them do some pretty
impressive tricks;  like install can-lights and switches in plaster
walls and ceiling with hardly any access holes cut.

   -Wayne