Re: PV system

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PV system
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:17:37 -0700
>   I think I probably speak for many when I ask, "What did it cost?"

David,

What would seem like a very easy question, is not so easy to answer. In most
states there is a substantial subsidy for PV from the utilities and the
government. There are direct rebates upon installation along with
substantial state and federal tax deductions. The retail for this system was
around $45K, but with the immediate rebate of $17K and 20% federal and state
tax, it should cost about $18K. With our electrical consumption, it will pay
for itself in 7-10 years. The panels are guaranteed for 20 years, and with
the life expectancy of the panels to be 35+ years, you can make an ROI
argument. According to the formula used by realtors for our house, it should
increase the value of the property by $50K (not a big deal unless you are
planning to sell, but this is something a buyer apparently is willing to pay
a premium for).

I'll be honest, though, even though I can make an ROI argument for the
system, I really feel good about reducing my energy footprint on the earth.
Not only are we generating all of our power, we are generating our
neighbor's power as well. It just feels good when I watch the system spin
the electrical meter backwards. I have seen it generate 480VDC at 6,015
watts from nothing other than the sun that was beating down on roof. It also
provides about 600 sq.ft. of shade for the roof so our house is cooler and
the AC should run less. I wish I had done this years ago.

best,

doug