Re: [Shop-talk] OBD II code scanner

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OBD II code scanner
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:53:42 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, old dirtbeard wrote:
> Today I need to buy an automotive OBD2 code scanner. It probably will
> only be used on newer (OBD2) GM cars. In looking at the range of hand
> held scanners offered, the prices run from $70 to $500+. Some of the
> more expensive have interesting comments like "will not accidentally
> deploy air bags" which makes me wonder about the cheaper ones.
>
> I like good tools and will pay as much as I need to, but I hate to buy
> something that I will never use. What features are most important?
>
> Do you have any experience with these scanners and let me know what you
> liked/disliked or if you wish you have bought something other than what
> you have?

My only real experience is to actually try the thing on your car and see
what it does before you buy it.

I tried two HF units that looked really nice on paper, except for how they
didn't work (like, at all) with either my two OBD II vehicles.

It's not just limited to cheapies either... My buddy's fancy snap-on
scanner wouldn't talk to our '93 BMW a few years back either.

In contrast, the HPTuners software/hardware I've got for reprogramming my
'99 z28 works like a champ on that vehicle.

So... Try before you buy.  After that, worry about if it'll work on future
vehicles.

Oh, and my other advice is that you want text descriptions of codes.  Just
the code, while it will eventually work, is annoying as heck.

Mark