Re: [Shop-talk] Garage tile

To: nases@verizon.net, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage tile
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 20:12:51 -0700
   Totally and completely love my tiles, one of the very best things
I ever did for my garage (the lift is still the best).  It brightens
up the shop and puts a smile on my face every time I go out there and
until I got the lift it was nice to work under the cars on the tiles,
they are so much warmer than cardboard on concrete.  My wife likes it
because she can go out to the washer/dryer in her bare feet and not
freeze her feet off. I think but I have no proof of this other than
"I believe" that it has warmed up the garage in the winter time, ok
no it does not keep it toasty but the tiles insulate the cold
concrete a little and I think its 1 or 2 degrees warmer (it is the
4th as I type this but I am not drunk (yet) ).

   The only issue I have had with them is burning holes in them when
welding or using the plasma cutter, I have had to work around that
issue by throwing a welding blanket down before welding or doing my
welding outside, my next garage I will leave a section un-tiled for
metal work.  I did all white under the lift to reflect light back up
under the car and that has been a bitch to clean up after a week of
work pulling gearbox, etc. that all white section was mostly black, a
quart of lacquer thinner and a mop later it was bright white
again.  Gouged them here and there with heavy crap falling or sliding
on them but its not visible and they look great after 6 years and going.

   The rest of the floor is the standard B&W checker with Red here
and there and looks great.  And for the other posters, I don't have a
Ferrari to detail (although one car is awfully close to a Ferrari),
my cars are the usual leaky need constant work British cars.

         mike

p.s. it looks good too :)

At 09:28 AM 7/4/2007, Phil Nase wrote:
>Anyone ever put down the interlocking garage floor tiles available?  I am
>thinking about putting down two 18'x7' area to park the cars on.
>
>I would like a solid tile rather the the perforated ones.  Every brand I
>look at seems very expensive and before I spend the money I would like to
>know others' experiences/recommendations.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Phil Nase
>Quakertown, PA
>http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa