Re: [Shop-talk] Air compressor hook up

To: "'shop-talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air compressor hook up
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 21:48:42 -0700
> None of the hardware
> stores sell a separate disconnect (other than an AC "pull
> out" disconnect) so I wonder what you folks do?

I'm surprised you can't find them in the hardware store ... I'd pick one up
on eBay.

> The thing was also shipped, according to the manual, without
> oil, although a little is showing in the sight glass.

Should probably be drained & replaced.

> able to get a couple of quarts of "compressor oil" but I
> suspect 20 or 30 ND would work just as well.  Any opinions?

A big compressor is still on my wish list; but my little "2.5hp" (which in
reality is closer to 1 hp) seems happier with synthetic motor oil.  Since
it's only air leaking past the rings, I don't think choice of oil is as
critical as it might be for a car motor.

Randall