Re: [Shop-talk] bridgeport or cincinnati mill?

To: scott.hall@comcast.net,shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] bridgeport or cincinnati mill?
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:37:39 -0700
Variations on this topic go around on the several lathe lists I'm on all
the time.  One problem with commercial milling machines is they are usually
three phase, so unless you already have a phase converter, or have three
phase power available you will have to deal with that.  Several work
arounds, but something to consider.  Another problem is that once machines
that have been used in commercial, industrial or educational settings are
sold, they are often pretty used up.  It can be a big deal to bring them
back to spec.

I have a medium sized Grizzly knee mill that is a knock off of a Rockwell
model from the '70s.  It works fine for me and I haven't had any problems
with it.  A few years ago when I was in charge of facilities maintenance
for a seaport I bought a 14" Chinese lathe and a Birmingham (also Chinese)
Bridgeport knockoff, both single phase, and they worked great.  The
maintenance crew loved them.

There are a couple of milling machine forums on Yahoo, you could cruise the
archives for more info.

Dave C