Re: [Shop-talk] hole sawed 1/4" thick steel post undersized

To: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>, "shop-talk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hole sawed 1/4" thick steel post undersized
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 19:00:07 -0500
clamp a piece of thinner plate (say 1/8") that is larger than the hole
enough to get two good clamps on it. I'd cross mark it to get the center
then do the same to the hole in the post.  line up the cross marks... drill
the pilot hole in the center of the clamped plate which is also the center
of the existing hole.  when you drill thru the clamped plate it will act as
your pilot hole for the thicker post material

It might be quicker and easier to just predrill the clamped plate  then just
center it on the smaller post hole... same difference but you can predrill
with a press and save your back leaning on the hand drill.  Keep it oiled

john

Chinese Proverb
When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from
it,  you have a moral obligation to share it with others. Pay it forward