[Shop-talk] Bad gasoline

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Bad gasoline
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:43:34 -0400
When gasoline is way too old, it leaves a varnish like deposit behind
and turns into this noxious substance that smells like...  well, bad
gasoline.  Now of course if this varnish clogs up jets and orifices,
an engine will not run.  And when the gasoline gets funky enough, it
doesn't have enough of whatever it takes to make an engine run
either.  So, my question is, does this stuff do an engine any harm if
it is mixed with good gas in whatever ratio it takes to make an
engine go?  I guess I don't care if performance is impacted somewhat,
as long as no lasting damage is done.  I've heard the "I never do
that" answers, and the "I always do that, and nothing bad happens"
answers.  I was hoping we have a lurking petroleum expert who could
add some facts.  Thanks.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net