Re: [Shop-talk] Airline Piping

To: "Kent Sullivan" <kentsu@corvairkid.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Airline Piping
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:18:13 -0400
At 06:11 PM 8/17/2007 -0700, Kent Sullivan wrote:

>I really like the automatic tank drain that I have that's made by Granzow.
>I've been using it for about 3 years now with no trouble. This is the one my
>air compressor dealer recommended. It has a max delay between "blasts" of
>about 45 minutes, which is fine for a commercial setting where the equipment
>is in use a lot, but in my home shop that's more often than needed. I solved
>that problem by plugging it into a lamp timer and having it "wake up" twice
>during the night and fire off during that period.

If you have a typical compressor, don't get the El Cheapo from Harbor Freight!
I got one, but it doesn't work.  Several problems with it:

1. The way it senses pressure is right off the compressor head.  So since the
   air is hot, it will melt the plastic line they provide.  Which is how the
   instructions say to plumb it.

2. It fired backwards.  I don't remember why, but when my tank was charged,
   it would dump.  But it doesn't shut off until the pressure is releived
   or something and drains the tank.

I'd love to find a nice inexpensive one.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic