Re: [Shop-talk] To kill a refrigerator

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] To kill a refrigerator
From: "Dennis Lambert" <DLambert@anaheim.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:33:23 -0700
I didn't live through the great depression, and have the utmost respect
for those that did - I've heard the stories and many sound horrific -
but I'm still pretty darn cheap.  In retrospect, I lived with my 1973
Sears refer much longer than I should have.  Yes it was well
constructed, but also harvest gold!  Finally went to the store and
purchased a Kitchen Aide that was more $ than most, but like Randall
says, the others looked and felt like they were made from Coke bottles
and beer cans.  After the purchase, my electricity bill dropped about
$25/mo.  After rebates, discounts due to a small scratch, and a few
bucks the store threw in due to a delivery snafu, my payback was about 2
1/2 years.  My local Utility company gave me a $50 rebate for buying an
Energy Star appliance, and also gave me $35 for giving them my old,
working refer.  (They use this program to accumulate pollution credits).
One other thing: it sounds like the elderly couple actually have the $
for a new refer or the husband probably wouldn't be trying to sabotage
the old one - they are going to be paying for a new one whether the old
one breaks or he convinces the wife to just buy one.  OTOH, I don't know
how old they are - maybe a 2/12 year payback may be too long to
consider...
Dennis

<>
<> Add to that the price, which could easily be several MONTHS
disposable
<> income for a retired couple ... I wouldn't buy a new one either !
<
<Payback for a refrigerator that was built in the 70's is probably a
<bit less than 2 years.  I'd bet the savings are about the cost of
<financing it.
<

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH
IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL,
AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this
in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and
delete the original message immediately. Thank you.