Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Question

To: "'Shop-Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:05:03 -0700
> I needed to replace a wall switch, and when I finally
> determined which breaker was on the circuit when I opened the
> breaker I still saw 40V AC on the two poles.

Could be normal, if there isn't any load connected.  Or it might mean
something odd with the wiring.  I've seen several older houses now with
strange things like fuses in the neutral.  In my first house, when I undid
the wires to replace the light fixture in the utility room (with it's fuse
removed of course), the kitchen lights got really bright.

Try turning on an incandescent light or something to load the circuit.  If
you still get 40vac, there is something wrong.

Randall