[Shop-talk] Hydraulic jack failure

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Hydraulic jack failure
From: "Lee Daniels" <lee@automate-it.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:24:55 -0500 (CDT)
I have a medium-duty hydraulic jack (Chinese), labelled "Roush Racing"
although that has little to do with it. It has a "quick-lift" action when
there is no load, i.e. one quick stroke will bring it up to the lifting
surface, then once the load is on it goes into normal lifting mode. Except
today it still works in quick-lift mode but won't do anything once it's
loaded.

The timing was impeccable; put the car up on stands and when it was time to
bring it down, I couldn't lift the car off the stands. Bummer.

Next to the filling plug there are four screw heads labelled "DO NOT ADJUST",
which we all know is Chinese for "Please turn these". I tried moving these
forward and back by 1/4 or 1/2 turn each way, no change. A couple of them
bottom out after 1/2 turn. The manual is useless ("Trouble: won't lift -
Action: Contact manufacturer"). It does have a tiny exploded diagram that
shows what appear to be little Schrader-type valves under the screws.

So, any ideas on these? Just take the valves out and see if they've blown
seals, etc? If it's any help, here are a couple of photos of the jack and the
adjusting screws:

  http://www.automate-it.com/photos/RoushJack1.jpg
  http://www.automate-it.com/photos/RoushJack2.jpg

THANKS,