[Shop-talk] Cars, EFi, snog controls and what not

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Cars, EFi, snog controls and what not
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 22:05:05 -0400
David Scheidt wrote:
> On 9/16/07, Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com> wrote:
>> Honda has engine management down so well, my 2006 Acura RSX doesn't even
>> have an EGR valve :) No pollution controls on the thing other than the
[snip]
> It's got oxygen sensors.  It's got EVAP stuff.  And it's got that computer.

Oohh... I forgot about the EVAP stuff.  I've never seen it but I'm sure
it's on there now that you mention it.  Grandma'a 1967 Buick had it
too...  at least it's harmless performance wise, and if it keeps the air
clean, I'm cool with that.  Must qualify as some of the earliest smog
control.

I consider O2 sensors to be "sensors" and and not pollution controls,
but some might disagree.  They're there to let the computer do its job,
not to clean up after its short comings.  And for the computer -- I like
the things!  But I've been an electronics guy all my life.  Worked as a
computer tech in high school, got a little of a BSEE and got into IT as
a backup career.  I've had a lot of EFI cars, and I can maintain them
and hot-rod them quite well.  Every carb I've ever touched goes to shit,
however  :(

Something really cool that even a lot of motor-heads fail to appreciate
is just how dang' reliable modern cars are!  I'm 41 and as a kid in the
1970s I remember going on family trips and seeing broken down cars all
along the interstate.  A good portion were due to belt and hose
failures.  How often do those things fail nowadays?  HARDLY EVER!
Yeaaah!  Apparently the materials technology has just gotten That Good.
  I tried to buy radiator hoses for a 1993 Nissan Sentra a few years
ago;  the original ones were still pliable, but it had a lot of miles
and I was trying to preemptively fix failure prone parts.  Auto Zone did
not even stock hoses for this very common car!  Apparently the things
dont't break enough for them to bother.

I think it's nuts to hear guys gripe "you can't work on modern cars".
#1  yes, you can, it's not that tough.  #2  You don't have to all that
often!!

   -Wayne