Re: [Shop-talk] Generator thread

To: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Generator thread
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:08:23 -0400
On 9/30/07, Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com> wrote:
> Actually one gal/hr seems low.  The specs for one of the 10kw Onan
> gensets that I have is 1.8 gal/hr so for a 8kw to use only one gal/hr
> I'm somewhat surprised.
>
> Everything I've heard says it takes pretty much the same energy to
> create a set kw no matter the size of engine.

That's generally true.  Larger stationary engines are often somewhat
more efficient than smaller portable ones.  Some of that is native to
larger engines being more efficient, but a lot of it is because all
engines have a power output where they're most efficient, and big
gensets can be made to run there most of the time.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com