Re: [Shop-talk] Generator thread

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Generator thread
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 08:25:49 -0400
Since this is brought up, I have a side question.

I have a brand new 45 HP tractor.  I always see 3-pt hitch mount generators
that go pretty cheap for their KW output.

I was thinking that for the price, I could have a nice genny sitting around
(with no motor to maintain), then when I need it, just drive the tractor
over to the basement window and have a power cable that feeds a manual cut
off box.  The tractor could just sit outside running.  Another nice thing
about this is that if one of my buddies looses power, they can borrow the
genie without me worrying about them trashing the motor.  (only my friends
with tractors could borrow it, and they all take care of things.)  8>)

Also, I have a few "home heating oil tanks" on the property, one is filled
to JUST be used as fuel for the tractor.  So I wouldn't risk running out of
fuel.  (over 500 gals of fuel on the property at a min. all the time.)  (I
wonder why the local PD calls my place "The Compound?"  8>)

So, does anyone have any experience?  Any pros or cons?

Moose

"We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
     Tori Amos