Re: [Shop-talk] Eastwood vs Harbor Freight

To: "Michael Lye" <mlye@risd.edu>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Eastwood vs Harbor Freight
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:56:05 -0400
On 10/5/07, Michael Lye <mlye@risd.edu> wrote:
> Note that it's not just with knock-offs that this happens. Home
> despot will often ask/force their vendors to take an existing product
> and make it cheaper to meet a price point without changing the
> external appearance. Makes it seem like you're getting the same
> product cheaper at HD but in fact it may not be the same product
> inside. The manufacturer that I've spoken to isn't happy about it but
> doesn't have much choice in the matter or the don't get on the
> shelves at the HD.

This is pretty common among all the big-box places, not just
home-improvement type places.  Sometimes it's the same product, but
with a new model number and packaging, to make it harder to say "It's
cheaper next door!" and take advantage of price matching.  Sometimes
it's made to different specs.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com