Re: [Shop-talk] HF: Jigsaw blades, etc.

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF: Jigsaw blades, etc.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 07:46:16 -0800
> > And the web site listed on the flyer was
> > "harborfreightusa.com" instead of just "harborfreight.com".

Well, I've learned something.  Never realized before that there are two
separate, somewhat different web sites.

> "proves" that the mail order company does not
> have a local presence in your state, and therefore the mail
> order company does not have to collect sales taxes in your state.

I don't know, but it seems improbable to me.  Especially since both sites
have a link to locate a "retail store near you", and they both seem to come
up with the same list of stores.  And both sites also list the same address
for corporate headquarters (as do the retail stores).  If they were
pretending to be different companies, you'd think they would at least get
different mailing addresses.

> Of course
> only the digits after the hyphen were different,

JCW does that (or at least did), but AFAIK HF stopped doing it long ago.
The JCW way was that the digits after the hyphen literally determined how
much you paid for the product, while only the part before the hyphen
actually identified different products.

Randall