Re: [Shop-talk] Those mysterious electrons.....

To: Gerald Brazil <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Those mysterious electrons.....
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:22:59 -0600
My first thought was that you had your meter set to DC, while the lights
run on AC. But since you checked the meter on AC, that may not be the
problem. Check the output of the transformer again, just to be sure that
you are on the AC range. (Also check the rating plate on the transformer
to be sure that it is supposed to put out AC).

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Gerald Brazil:
> I am having trouble understanding what is going on. (that's nothing new!)
>
> I am trying to trouble shoot my string of 12v walk lights. The last one in
> the string quit working after a few years of working flawlessly. The first
> thing I checked was the bulb. It is fine in other sockets. Next I reset the
> connector which pierces the line and still no results. Next I took the tape
> off of the end and stuck the probes of my multi-meter directly into the
> wires. No reading. So I went the the next light that was working and much to
> my surprise, I got no indication of voltage there, even though I could plug
> the light back in and it worked fine. Next I went directly to the
> transformer feeding the line and got no reading there. I then check my meter
> against a battery...it was a perfect 1.5 v. I then checked the AC range and
> it was fine too.
>
> So, can anybody explain what's going on?

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001
www.hornesystemstx.com