Re: [Shop-talk] head bolt socket recommendations

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] head bolt socket recommendations
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:32:41 -0800
> On newer Volvo  6 cyl engines the 14mm head bolts are
> recessed down a hole.  an impact socket wont quite fit  down
> the opening.

Someone already suggested skimming a bit off the outside of an impact
socket, which is what I'd do.

My only other thought, if it's always the same engine, is whether you could
find 12-point bolts (smaller head, same threads) from ARP or similar.

I take that back, one other thought is to buy better quality sockets.  I use
some older Craftsman non-impact sockets on an impact gun fairly often, and
I've not ruined one yet (although they are showing some damage around the
drive hole).

Randall