Re: [Shop-talk] harris welding torches and blue point jack?

To: scott.hall@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] harris welding torches and blue point jack?
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:54:54 -0500
On Nov 29, 2007 11:47 AM,  <scott.hall@comcast.net> wrote:
> wandered into a pawn shop next to a client yesterday. they've got a
> new-ish looking set of harris gas gauges and a torch for $98 (or$89).
> I've been wanting to practice gas welding and get better/good at it. is
> harris good stuff, or should I stay with...oh, I forgot the name but
> you know, the big name guys?

Harris are a big name.  They're now owned by Lincoln Electric, but I
think they're still making good stuff.  My gas stuff is all Harris,
except probably hoses.  You need to figure which model it is, and see
if it's a good deal.  Harris make a huge range of stuff, and not all
of it are as capable.  There are a large number of torch bodies, which
have varying capacities, and a shockingly large number of cutting
torch mixing bodies, which all use different types of tips.

> they've got an al. blue point 'race' jack.  I need a new floor jack
> anyway, but it's a little scuffed up and it's a 1.5 ton capacity.  I
> guess the question there is has anybody had to rebuild one of these,
> and was it okay (i.e., can I get parts, and get them from somebody that
> speaks english)? and if you've got one, do you like it?

Blue Point is Snap-On's off-brand brand.  I'm sure they'd sell you
parts.  But I'm also sure that you can get the same jack new for less
-- I'm pretty sure it's the same jack HF and others flog.

Daivd