Re: [Shop-talk] Mixing Valves

To: "Justin Bedard" <juice@lerch.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mixing Valves
From: "Trevor Boicey" <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:23:08 -0500 (EST)
> Can anyone recommend a good mixing valve for my hot water system?
>
> I have a Crown Boiler (Cayman 3, CWI103 -
> http://www.crownboiler.com/products/res_gas/cayman_prn.asp)  that provides
> my heat and hot water.  Installed is a Honeywell mixing valve (AM-1 Series
> 1/2" NPT -
> http://customer.honeywell.com/honeywell/ProductInfo.aspx/AM100-1that
> might be it.  It's ASSE 1016T & 1017 but there are no other markings).

  I'm pretty sure I have the same one, generic one available at Home
Depot. Works fine for me.

> The water is only hot for the first minute or so and then it's just warm
> or luke-warm.

  Stupid question perhaps, but is your hot water tank plumbed backwards by
any chance? As in... the "out" of the tank actually connected to the
"in" connection?

  That will happen on a "big tank" if the hot water is being drawn out of
the wrong hose... from the bottom of the tank rather than the top. It is
also worse in Winter as the water from the ground is cooler.

  I wonder if this is a problem with your small tank... in the big tanks
the hot water is drawn from the top with the cold water added to the
bottom, and it manages to stay separate enough that the water coming out
is close enough to the same temperatute that the mixing valve can make
it perfect...