Re: [Shop-talk] Rivet Steel to Aluminum

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rivet Steel to Aluminum
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:05:58 -0500
At 10:12 AM 1/13/2008 -0500, Mark Watson wrote:
>> Are you sure the rivets are pretty large?  *=*=*> The reason I ask, is
>> that in
>> most cases the truck panels are glued together now, and the pop rivets
>> are used as clamps to hold the pieces of the body together while the glue
>> drys.  <*=*=*
>>
>    The other day I was talking with (OK - I was pumping him for knowledge!)
>the local Loctite rep (at our sons' Tae Kwon Do class) and he said the same
>thing.  One of his clients is a bus body maker and that's exactly what they
>do - glue it together with rivets to hold it while the glue dries.

Jon & Mark,

There are a lot of compaines that are making adheasives for this purpose.
3M has been mailing a 2 part adheasive for the Corvetts for years.
Silkaflex also make several products.  On my Bricklin, the current adheasive
for choice is Norton Speed Grip, which is what I'm using to reattach attach
my door skins to the steel door.

Most of these products are 2 parts, and require a special applicator gun.
For the Norton, the gun is about $55, and the glue is about $25 per load
(the 2 tubes).  I tube will do about 25 linear feet.

Depending on the weight of the metal object Jon is trying to hang, it may
not be worth the cost for the glue and the gun.  Especially if it's a 1 time
thing.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229