[Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers - operating Costs

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers - operating Costs
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:37:24 -0500
Rush wrote:
> Would anyone hazard a guess on how a battery minder would work being
> cycled on and off every day? I have off-peak power discounts, so I try
> to have little or nothing running during the day. So if I got a battery
> minder for my lawn mower batteries, I'd put it on a timer to only work
> at night.

Wow, my first thought was "why bother".  The thing can't *possibly* use
enough power to even worry about.  A large discount taken off a couple
pennies is still a inconsequential amount.  Probably better to spend
your effort looking for a small gain in HVAC efficiency, for example.

Then I did some math.  Damn -- even if it averages a mere 20W
continuous, that's 175 KWHr/year or 14.6/month;  which would run me
$14.00/yr $1.17/mo.  Hmm, apparently the little crap is worthy of more
attention than I thought.

   -Wayne