Re: [Shop-talk] Air Compressors

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air Compressors
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:50:28 -0500
At 10:32 AM 1/23/2008 -0500, Paul Parkanzky wrote:

>Just a note to let everybody know that I've been reading these responses
>with great interest.  I was **this** close to buying the Craftsman
>compressor in my original note, but decided to wait and collect some more
>opinions.  Now that I've done some more research, I am leaning more towards
>IR or Quincy.  I'm pretty impressed with Eaton's website too, so I will look
>into that.

Paul,

Don't sell the Craftsman too short.  But do be consious of the cost.  Their
quality may have changed over the years.  My dad has a 4hp (220V) 20 gal.
Craftsman compressor that he's had since I'd say the mid 60s.  It still
running.

Based on that, I purchased a Craftsman (oil lubed) 5hp 30 gal. compressor
back in about 90.  So mine is what 17 yrs old?  WOW, I can't believe it.
I must admitt that I have had a couple of problems with my compressor:

1. the motor casing is welded to plate that is allowed to move when the
compressor starts up.  It's on a pivot.  The motor has ripped off the
base plate 2 times.  I disassembled the motor and welded the case back onto
the mounting plate the 1st time.  The 2nd time, my welds didn't fail, the
case ripped in another spot.  So I disassembled and welded it back together.

2. the motor would not run.  I figured it was brushes.  I tore it down and
the brushes were still OK.  So I took it to a shop and had it checked.  They
found that the start contacts inside the motor had gotten dirty and couldn't
make.  I think that cost me about $70 to have fixed.

I've heard good things about IR and have one of their impact wrenches.  So
that wouldn't be a bad purchase.

I do recommend trying to find a 100% duty cycle compressor.  Mine can't keep
up with my blast cabinet, and some of my air tools, like my DA.  Well maybe
it does keep up, but it can't surpass and shut down.  So after using it for
10 to 15 minutes, I'll stop and let it cools some.  I've also mounted a
large box fan next to the compressor to help cool it, as I've got it mounted
under my work bench.

Be careful about just looking at the HP specs.  The manufactures got into
an advertising war - mine is bigger than yours - by using starting current
to rate their compressors.  Don't get anything that isn't 220V.

You might want to take a quick read of my article. "Media Blasting
(Sandbblasting)"  http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/blasting/mediablast.html

As someone else said, "bigger is better", but then you have to watch the
pocket book also.  I don't regret my purchase and it has been worth every
penny I've spent on it.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229