[Shop-talk] Privilege at the lumber yard

To: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Privilege at the lumber yard
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 19:30:17 -0800
>As long as you're white and male, eh?
It's not prejudice based on race or sex.  They are sizing you up to determine
if you're there to purchase materials to complete a project.  If they think
that
you'll be better served by shopping at Home Depot they will encourage you to
take your business there.  The first step in determining who they deal with is
the hours of operation.

The mistreatment of my girlfriend was probably based on clothing.  She was
probably 40 at the time, and never had been inside a Kmart until I took her.
She used clothes, jewelry, and other wealth signaling devices to make a
statement about her place in society.  The guys at the lumber yard encouraged
her to shop elsewhere.  I didn't understand until later that my levis and
tshirts
were part of the reason that I can purchase filter cloth and other secret
ingredients unknown to the staff at Home Depot.

Please accept my apologies for taking this way off topic but
does everyone understand white privilege?

Here is a link to a classic work (by a white woman I believe!)
http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~mcisaac/emc598ge/Unpacking.html#daily

I found it on Wikipedia.

Sometimes I think about social justice in the shop
It's a wonder I get anything done at all....