Re: [Shop-talk] Sams Club tool box - part two

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sams Club tool box - part two
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:04:42 -0600
continued from part one ...

The really big drawer at the bottom has a 9in face and holds a lot of big heavy
stuff. It has two ball bearing slides on each side
and I'm quite surprised what I can put in there and it still open - like
multiple 8 lb sledge hammers, etc.

The big drawers - 4.75in face - second and third from the bottom on the bottom
section - are also good size and hold a reasonable
amount of stuff.

The medium drawers - 3in face - and the small drawers -  2.5in face are a
challenge to use effectively. I have the quarter inch
sockets, handles, extensions in a 2.5in face drawer and the three quarters and
half inch sockets, handles and extensions in the  3in
face drawer. But all of the sockets are on their side in either Lisle socket
holders or on plastic peg type folders. None of  the
medium or smaller drawers are tall enough to allow all of the sockets to stand
straight up - especially the deep well sockets.

The same issue with wrenches. I have most of the wrenches - box ends - open
ends - combinations - in three separate 3in face drawers
in plastic holders that angle them back about 45 degrees. The really big
wrenches lie flat in the drawer.

On occasion I have considered converting some of the small and medium drawers
to be larger drawer by applying the saws-all to the
bottom of a drawer and then use the pop-rivet gun to attach it to the drawer
directly below it, but I have not yet acted upon the
impulse.

It comes with shelf liners but I was not impressed with them and installed a
thicker "bead" type that I like better.

The casters are very robust, as are the handles.

I don't mind the stainless steel and the smudges wipe up easily.

The slides seem to handle everything that I've put in the drawers without
issue. I wish the slides held the drawers shut a little
better. They work, and hold the drawer shut, but the term "just barely"
applies. There is no 'safety' mechanism on the drawers so I
am assuming that if I open three or four of them at the same time it will fall
over. This also means that I need to shut them all
and lock it if I am going to roll it a long distance around the garage.

Note also that at one time I saw similar items from the same manufacturer -
different drawer configurations, etc. at Costco but I've
not seen them there for quite some time. Even the local Sam's Club stores seem
to only have them on an "every now and then" basis
rather than a regular stock item.

In summary, I was very impressed with what I got for the money. In my opinion
it was at least as nice as the medium priced stuff at
Sears and much less expensive. And they seemed to be much nicer in fit and
finish compared to the Harbor Freight stuff for a similar
price.

At this point everyone is regretting that John asked for all that I know about
them.

Arvid