Re: [Shop-talk] PC Hackin'

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] PC Hackin'
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:54:57 -0400
Steven Trovato wrote:
> I guess it depends how much you want to defy your company's
> policies.  Doing all that makes it pretty clear that you are going
> out of your way to beat the system.  Is it really worth risking your
> job, or even just pissing off your management so you can run
> defrag?  Doesn't seem worth it to me.  Now if you could beat the porn
> filter on the internet, maybe that would be worth it.  :-)

Ouch!  Yeah, you're right.  I should have mentioned that.

Check your employer's Acceptable Use Policy or other stuff you may have
signed there.  Defragging your PC is just keeping it running better so
you can do our job more efficiently, IMO.  As a sysadmin, I got really
pissed at some folks at my former employer who were grossly abusing
internet usage.

Right before I left, I found one salaried guy was spending 20 to 30
hours a week surfing for porn and personal ads.  I confronted him about
it, and he just seemed clueless, and made some comment like "well, it's
just normal guy stuff".  I tried to explain I like T&A as much as the
next straight guy, but it just wasn't what he was getting paid the big
bucks to do.  He didn't get it.  He did get fired several months after I
left, and the place went bankrupt.  I still wonder how much was due to
'net slacking.

   -Wayne