[Shop-talk] PC GESTAPO

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] PC GESTAPO
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:59:36 -0500
Besides, there is no proof that you were the one that changed the password.
> Physical security is bound to be lax (otherwise no need for such draconian
> computer measures; physical security is the only real security) so pretty
> much anyone could have wandered in and changed the password. That
> quasi-legal janitor that can't speak English but seems to understand what
> you say ...

The company from which I just retired  had total and complete control/access
to each p.c. on the network with or without your knowledge.  You signed a
compliance agreement stating that you would only use that equipment for
legitimate business purposes (which in effect said nothing personal...not even
a letter to grandma on your lunch hour or after work.) They considered any
form of computer media...disc, cd's, memory sticks, tapes, whatever as 'their'
property ...subject to search/seizure if it was on their premises.   They
logged every network file accessed and every internet (of the few they didn't
have blocked) visited, every email sent and received including attachments.
Every thing you did and probably thought was mirrored and shadowed onto
network drives.  Encryption was no help and they would if needed recreate
every file needed to hang your ass.  You needed deep level scrubbing (read
government/military) to completely remove files and somehow they had blocked
most of those from running on individual machines..haven't quite figured out
how they did that). Each person was issued a username/password and you were
expected to logoff your pc each and every time you left your desk.  YOU were
considered responsible for any activity on that machine 24 hours a day.
Machines with multiple users were executed 'group' style.  Six to a gallows at
a time.

You could not add/delete/change hardware or software configurations... you
couldn't even add a printer or a memory stick without asking in writing for
permission which was reviewed by the IT queen and her minions.  Corporate
Auditors/Security at home office was sent reports weekly on 'flagged' activity
and the interrogations began from there.    The run command along with all
'system' commands were removed from menus.  The machines were almost as useful
as dumb mainframe terminals... almost, the dumb terminals were faster than the
emulation software.

They periodically wander their properties looking for 'hot spots' and illegal
wireless activity. I am an outside contractor now working on site still. We
learned this week that each contractor p.c. and laptop had to be registered
with plant security and was subject to inspection by them.

They spell ANAL  with all capital letters and in a large uncomfortable font.
Don't ask me how I know...

my suggestion... depending on the IT managers/legal a'holes degree of
paranoia/self importance/moat digging it's best to just leave it alone and
stare at the company logo on the screen... it's just as good a time waster as
pics of junior.

This of course, Inch  does not apply to you or anyone serving this company.
I'd hope that IT directors would give preferential treatment to anyone who is
issued an M-16.

john

The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate
to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.