Re: [Shop-talk] Bexane

To: nogera@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Bexane
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:12:35 -0400
On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Bob Nogueira <nogera@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I've seen dozens of epoxy ' fix it' stuff for sale. Always wondered, is
>  there really a difference between them? I figured they were all epoxy mixed
>  with a filler, basically bondo with aluminum or steel filings rather than
>  talc power. Anyone know?

Yes, they're different, and no, they're not.  Epoxy packagers buy
their basic resin and hardeners from a fairly small group of
manufacturers. They then add their own fillers, modifiers, colors,
etc.  The basic resins are all the same.  The hard eners are all the
same.  There's not much difference in the additives.  What's different
is which hardener they use with which resin, and with what additives.
Using different hardeners can effect the working properties (temp it
cures at, speed it cures, working viscosity, etc).  Some fillers are
easier to work with after it's cured than others.  Some fillers are
basically solvents, which thin the product.  Clear as mud?

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com